[Tutor] Python does .NET?

Erik Price erikprice@mac.com
Tue, 21 May 2002 06:46:58 -0400

On Tuesday, May 21, 2002, at 12:57  AM, Pijus Virketis wrote:

> Clearly, Python is a glue language par excellence. But perhaps there
> something more here: perhaps the boundaries between all the languages
> will be melting away? How does this compare with the .NET project?
> Maybe Python is dissolving in a soup of other languages? ;)

I think that would be really cool.  And I don't mean to use this forum
to promote ideology.  But as far as .NET is concerned, Microsoft's track
record is not very good for maintaining open standards.  It is typical
of that company to change their code interface when their competitors
create a powerful, quality piece of software and MS is about to release
a competing version (something that many skeptics worry could easily
happen with .NET).  The whole concept of .NET, in fact, is arguably just
an attempt to stifle Java development for Winsystems.

However, look at what happens with open source software (or in the case
of Java, heavily documented and standardized proprietary software) --
the barriers between languages are easier to cross, and the cool things
that Pijus mentions become possible.  I'm not saying MS automatically
bad, OSS automatically good (regardless of how I actually feel), but I
am suggesting that open standards and "communication" (if you want to
call it that) between coders and code seem to create some of the most
robust and powerful software.

IMO, juding from my limited experience.
Of course I'm biased.

Erik