[Tutor] hacking 101

alan.gauld@bt.com alan.gauld@bt.com
Mon, 1 Apr 2002 00:03:28 +0100

Rob,

> On Sun, Mar 31, 2002 at 04:03:08PM -0500, kirk Bailey wrote:
> > FreeBSD
>
> Oh, that's probably a pretty good choice. I'm sure they have
> a security mailing list which you could join

I think the thing Kirk is interested in is how to make the
mailing list registration form he has written in Python
secure, not how to make his BSD box secure. That's why he
needs to know how crackers operate so he can guard against
it in his code.

Kirk,

There are some sites around covering secure code techniques
but many are biased to C/C++ in my experience. Things like
buffer overruns etc are not such an issue in Python because
we can't read a string into a fixed length byte array etc.

But there are plenty other things to look out for I'm sure,
and I'd be interested if you do find a good source of info.

Alan g.