[Tutor] Gadfly... missing?

Israel Evans israel@lith.com
Tue, 19 Mar 2002 17:36:47 -0800

http://starship.python.net/crew/shprentz/

has some interesting stuff on persistence.

There is of course always the shelve and pickle modules....

~Israel~

-----Original Message-----
From: Erik Price [mailto:erikprice@mac.com]
Sent: 19 March 2002 4:42 PM
To: dman
Cc: 'tutor@python.org'
Subject: Re: [Tutor] Gadfly... missing?

On Tuesday, March 19, 2002, at 09:29  AM, dman wrote:

> PS. I'm sorry to see it go too.  It's the easiest way to begin working
>     with SQL, and also the easiest way to get a db on windows (though
>     I haven't actually tested to verify that it works on windows).

This actually raises a quick question -- are there any small-scale open
source relational databases?  I have been using MySQL for a while and I
really like it, but I was wondering if there is something that can be
easily embedded into a Python program.  Or is the preferred means of
storing things like "preferences" to place them in a file?  I am
interested in something that can run in Unix or Linux.

MySQL would be perfect except that it is really overkill to what I have
in mind -- I'm thinking of something light and small that can store or
retrieve data for a program that calls it, not a RDBMS server that can
support numerous requests in a second etc.

But I don't know if this is even something that exists.

Erik