[Tutor] FTP File Size

Tim Johnson tim@johnsons-web.com
Sun, 17 Mar 2002 13:24:17 -0900

Hello:

* J=F6rg W=F6lke <lumbricus@gmx.net> [020317 10:39]:
> > Hello :
> >     Using python 2.1 on RH 7.2 and win98.
> >     I am finding that the ftp.size() command appears
> >     to be returning a size for a file at a remote ftp site
> >     consistanty larger than is actual.
>=20
> How much larger?

  Just a few percent larger.

> What kind of ftp server?

  Must ask domain hoster, but my guess is wu_ftpd, or FtpPro on
  RH linux. The clients I'm using (Midnight Commander and IglooFTP)
  are reporting correctly, I believe.

> If its open source, how does it determine the size?
 =20
   I'm using an object that inherits FTP from ftplib.=20
   =3D> using the "original" (not overloaded) 'size' method.
   I can send entire source if necessary.
> =20
> >     What I have seen of RFC959 makes no mention of SIZE command,
> >     and I see documentation in the standard distribution ftplib
> >     as follows:
> >    =20
> >         " Note that the RFC doesn't say anything about 'SIZE'"
> >         =3D=3D> line 454
>=20
> "http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/ftp-objects.html":
>=20
> | size(filename)
> | Request the size of the file named filename on the server.=20
> | On success, the size of the file is returned as an integer,=20
> | otherwise None is  returned. Note that the "SIZE" command=20
> | is not standardized, but is supported by many common server
> | implementations.
>=20
> >     Can someone perhaps comment on this?
> >     Are others seeing the same results?
> >     Or am I doing something wrong.
> >=20
> >     TIA
>=20
> HTH, HAND and
> Greetings, J"o!
=20
  And thank you very much. :-)

> --=20
> $ make LOVE
> Make: Don't know how to make LOVE.  Stop.
> $=20
=20
  That's gcc for you...