[Tutor] telling dir(_builtins_) from dir(__builtins__)

Erik Price erikprice@mac.com
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 20:54:27 -0500

On Thursday, March 14, 2002, at 05:22  PM, Paul Sidorsky wrote:

> (As an aside, this is one of the major reasons why I prefer the PC's
> full-screen text mode.  My main text editor is still an old DOS editor
> and I almost always use it full-screen.  It's virtually impossible to
> make these kind of mistakes there.)

I think I'm the only person I know who actually prefers to use the
prompt over xwindows.  So I know what you mean.  If I'm in X, then I
feel like I need to always have a term open.  It helps that the python
interpreter and emacs are available thru this too!  (Of course on Mac OS
X I swear by BBEdit.)

> That being said, Python certainly does have less syntactical pitfalls
> and it's a lot easier to "speak" python (e.g. over the phone) than, say,
> C.

Or (shudder) Perl....

Erik