[Tutor] Installing tkinter

Michael P. Reilly arcege@speakeasy.net
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 19:19:31 -0500

On Mon, Mar 11, 2002 at 11:07:24AM +0100, Felix.Toran@esa.int wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I have downloaded ActivePython and ActiveTcl for Solaris 2.6. After installing
> the products, my python scripts run nice, but those containing calls to the
> tkinter module present problems.
>
> I have tried to write:  import _tkinter at python (as indicated in a FAQ in
> www.python.org), and an excepcion is thrown, reporting:
>
> Import error: ld.so.1: /usr/local/ActivePython-2.1/bin/python2.1 : fatal :
> libtk8.3.so : open failed : no such file or directory
>

> I am really new to Solaris. Please, can someone help me solving this problem?
> Thanks a lot in advance.
> Felix.

I have no experience with ActivePython or ActiveTcl, but it
sounds like the installations didn't get install in the default
locations.  Most things on UNIX end up going in /usr/local, not
/usr/local/ActivePython-2.1.  I think that maybe ActiveTcl would be
in /usr/local/ActiveTcl-X.X.  Find out where Tcl was installed and
set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the directory where the *.so file is.

$ find /usr/local -name libtk8.3.so -print
/usr/local/ActiveTcl-8.3/lib/libtk8.3.so
$ env LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/ActiveTcl-X.X/lib \
/usr/local/ActivePython-2.1/bin/python2.1
>>> import _tkinter

Good luck.
  -Arcege