[Tutor] running a script from IDLE

Kirby Urner urnerk@qwest.net
Fri, 08 Mar 2002 12:16:06 -0800

At 02:40 PM 3/8/2002 -0500, Lloyd Kvam wrote:
>http://www.paulgraham.com/langdes.html
>
>The tail end of this Paul Graham article gives a good idea of a Lisp
>programmer's view of OO.  I agree with him.  OO is extremely useful
>sometimes, but I don't like getting pushed into using it when it
>doesn't fit or it gets in the way...

Thanks for that, interesting article.

I think Python follows the advice there, to not make OO the
all-encompassing paradigm whether you want to use it or not
(unlike Java, which does).

Python gives us top-level functions, and that's cool.

I think a big reason why OO is popular that the article
doesn't quite address is the idea that an object can
be written in any language, while it exports an API
that other languages can use (and maybe subclass --
maybe not).

You need functionality and state all in a single entity,
like a calendar or a chat room.  The instance.method()
or instance.property notation lends itself to that.

The server-side apps will likely make a lot of use of
such componentware, even if it runs server-side more
than client-side.  Certainly this is what MSFT is banking
on, but others too -- enterprise JavaBeans and all that.

Kirby