[Tutor] re: computers

William Perry williammperry08@cox.net
Sat, 08 Jun 2002 00:41:02 -0500

--=====_10235148629881=_

Win98 DOES NOT support multi-processors, you need to change os (XP Pro (not=
 home) or NT)

ron Stoner wrote:
Thanks Stuart,

That's what I was thinking.  I wondered if programs would run faster.  I=
 was looking into it to make my graphics work, ie: 3D modeling, take less=
 time to use.  When doing animation it currently takes me like a half-hour=
 to save my work.  This is not a gross overestamation either.  It then=
 turns out to be less than 30 sec of animation when I play it.  Would=
 having multiple processors make it more efficient?

Thanks,
Cameron Stoner
----- Original Message -----
From: stuart_clemons@us.ibm.com
To: tutor@python.org
Sent: Tuesday, June 04, 2002 2:20 PM
Subject: [Tutor] re: computers

FYI. Even if your OS, such as NT, is capable of running on a=
 multi-processor system, it does not mean that your programs or compilers=
 will run any faster than when run on a single processor system. Most=
 programs and compilers do not take advantage of multi-processor systems,=
 which is something most people don't seem to realise. In fact, in some=
 cases a single processor system will complete tasks faster than a=
 multi-processor system. So, for most people, having a multiprocessor=
 system is a waste time, money, and resources.

--=====_10235148629881=_

<HTML><HEAD>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>Win98 DOES NOT support multi-processors, you need to
change os (XP Pro (not home) or NT)<BR><FONT face=Arial size=2><BR><BR>ron
Stoner wrote:</FONT>
<BLOCKQUOTE
style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid">
  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Thanks Stuart,</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>That's what I was thinking.&nbsp; I wondered if
  programs would run faster.&nbsp; I was looking into it to make my graphics
  work, ie: 3D modeling, take less time to use.&nbsp; When doing animation it
  currently takes me like a half-hour to save my work.&nbsp; This is not a gross
  overestamation either.&nbsp; It then turns out to be less than 30 sec of
  animation when I play it.&nbsp; Would having multiple processors make it more
  efficient?</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Thanks,</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Cameron Stoner</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
  <BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr
    <DIV
    style="BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: black"><B>From:</B>
    <A title=stuart_clemons@us.ibm.com
    href="mailto:stuart_clemons@us.ibm.com">stuart_clemons@us.ibm.com</A> </DIV>
    <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To:</B> <A title=tutor@python.org
    href="mailto:tutor@python.org">tutor@python.org</A> </DIV>
    <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Tuesday, June 04, 2002 2:20
    PM</DIV>
    <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> [Tutor] re: computers</DIV>
    <DIV><BR></DIV>
    <P>FYI. Even if your OS, such as NT, is capable of running on a
    multi-processor system, it does not mean that your programs or compilers
    will run any faster than when run on a single processor system. Most
    programs and compilers do not take advantage of multi-processor systems,
    which is something most people don't seem to realise. In fact, in some cases
    a single processor system will complete tasks faster than a multi-processor
    system. So, for most people, having a multiprocessor system is a waste time,
    money, and resources.</P></BLOCKQUOTE><FONT size=2
Arial></BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></BODY></HTML>

--=====_10235148629881=_--