[Tutor] ouch...

Danny Yoo dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Thu, 6 Jun 2002 23:41:06 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 7 Jun 2002, Kirk 'Deliberatus' Bailey wrote:

> my computer died. This comes to you from my wife Bea's computer. HDD
> controller board done screwed the pooch, bought the farm, failed the
> smoke test. 4 years of work, poof.

Ouch.  Sorry to hear that!

> DAMN glad most of it is in the server.

You're very lucky.  Backing up data is very prudent, even if it is on a
server.  With hard drive capacities in the tens of gigabytes, there's so
much more to be lost in a hard drive crash.  I almost lost my web page and
all my source code when my school's server died!  Without backups, all
that source code would have been flushed.