[Tutor] Connection/Analyis Order

Kojo Idrissa kojo@hal-pc.org
Tue, 04 Jun 2002 10:17:20 -0500

--=====================_701528454==_.ALT

And now, for something completely different...

This is about you not having access to CGI type stuff.  Have you considered
Freezope.org? <http://www.freezope.org/>
You can set up a free account and have access to Zope and a lot of other
Zope/Python related stuff.  Free for non-commercial use.  I just set up an
account yesterday and plan to use it to practice some Python and WebDev
stuff.  My ISP doesn't offer CGI through Python, only Perl.

Of course, there' s the added learning curve of Zope, but hey, it's all
done in Python, how hard could it be?
:-)
Seriously, given what you seem to want to do, Zope has all the
functionality you need.  Ok, it's overkill, but hey, it's free!

Just an "out of the box" suggestion, not so much a direct response to your
query.

At 12:45 PM 6/4/2002 +0100, Russell Bungay wrote:
>Hello,
>I am setting up a series of web pages to display certain data based upon
>the input to a form (ratings for levels in a game to be precise).
>
>Unfortunately, I currently have no access to proper cgi type stuff so I
>am having to use a 'normal' email post from the services that my host
>does provide.
>
>So, emails arrive at my server with the form data in, I want to analyse
>each, store the data and publish some of it to web pages.  All of the
>coding I think I can handle (never done mail stuff before, but this is
>Python, how hard can it be :o), my problem is more how I organise the
>steps.  I currently have three ideas:
>
>1.
>Connect to server blah.
>Check each mail (will not be just postings).
>If mail has correct subject:
>         Get body of mail and analyse etc.
>Check next mail etc.
>
>2.
>Connect.
>Check each mail.
>If correct mail:
>         Get body of mail, stick in variable.
>Check next mail.
>Analyse all data in variable (ie do all mails at once).
>
>3.
>Connect.
>Check each mail.
>If correct mail:
>         Analyse mail in seperate thread whilst...
>Continuting to check mail...
>
>Now, I think my exact connection circumstances may effect this...
>
>At present I have access to a permanent, fast connection to an IMAP
>server.  However, in the future I will probably have to connect over
>normal dial-up, possible to IMAP, possibly to POP3.
>
>Given my current status, I tend to favour 1, but over dial up would 2 or
>3 make more sense?
>
>I have never done any thread programming before (though Prog. Python
>makes it look easy enough), but I am concerned about different threads
>accessing the storage of the data at incompatible times and mucking it
>up and similar problems connecting to the mail server (I want to delete
>successfully analysed mails.)
>
>Your advice is very welcome...
>
>Russell
>--

****************************
Kojo Idrissa

kojo@hal-pc.org
http://www.hal-pc.org/~kojo/
****************************
--=====================_701528454==_.ALT

And now, for something completely different...<br><br>
This is about you not having access to CGI type stuff.&nbsp; Have you
considered Freezope.org?
You can set up a free account and have access to Zope and a lot of other
Zope/Python related stuff.&nbsp; Free for non-commercial use.&nbsp; I
just set up an account yesterday and plan to use it to practice some
Python and WebDev stuff.&nbsp; My ISP doesn't offer CGI through Python,
only Perl.<br><br>
Of course, there' s the added learning curve of Zope, but hey, it's all
done in Python, how hard could it be?<br>
<b>:-)<br>
</b>Seriously, given what you seem to want to do, Zope has all the
functionality you need.&nbsp; Ok, it's overkill, but hey, it's
free!<br><br>
Just an &quot;out of the box&quot; suggestion, not so much a direct
response to your query.<br><br>
At 12:45 PM 6/4/2002 +0100, Russell Bungay wrote:<br>
I am setting up a series of web pages to display certain data based
upon<br>
the input to a form (ratings for levels in a game to be
precise).<br><br>
Unfortunately, I currently have no access to proper cgi type stuff so
I<br>
am having to use a 'normal' email post from the services that my
host<br>
does provide.<br><br>
So, emails arrive at my server with the form data in, I want to
analyse<br>
each, store the data and publish some of it to web pages.&nbsp; All of
the<br>
coding I think I can handle (never done mail stuff before, but this
is<br>
Python, how hard can it be :o), my problem is more how I organise
the<br>
steps.&nbsp; I currently have three ideas:<br><br>
1.<br>
Connect to server blah.<br>
Check each mail (will not be just postings).<br>
If mail has correct subject:<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Get body
of mail and analyse etc.<br>
Check next mail etc.<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab><br>
2.<br>
Connect.<br>
Check each mail.<br>
If correct mail:<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Get body
of mail, stick in variable.<br>
Check next mail.<br>
Analyse all data in variable (ie do all mails at once).<br><br>
3.<br>
Connect.<br>
Check each mail.<br>
If correct mail:<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Analyse
mail in seperate thread whilst...<br>
Continuting to check mail...<br><br>
Now, I think my exact connection circumstances may effect
this...<br><br>
At present I have access to a permanent, fast connection to an IMAP<br>
server.&nbsp; However, in the future I will probably have to connect
over<br>
normal dial-up, possible to IMAP, possibly to POP3.<br><br>
Given my current status, I tend to favour 1, but over dial up would 2
or<br>
3 make more sense?<br><br>
I have never done any thread programming before (though Prog.
Python<br>
makes it look easy enough), but I am concerned about different
threads<br>
accessing the storage of the data at incompatible times and mucking
it<br>
up and similar problems connecting to the mail server (I want to
delete<br>
successfully analysed mails.)<br><br>
Your advice is very welcome...<br><br>
Russell<br>