[Tutor] Help with python parsing please..

Danny Yoo dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Sat, 20 Jul 2002 21:36:04 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 20 Jul 2002, SA wrote:

> The problem is, this script used to work fine. Now that I have changed
> some things around and re-installed Python, it no longer functions
> properly. For instance, when I run a quick script to make a simple
> tkinter button using "from Tkinter import *" I get the following:
>
> from: can't read /var/mail/Tkinter

Hi SA,

Ah.  Now I see all too clearly.  That's because there's a Unix command
named 'from':

    http://www.ntua.gr/cgi-bin/man-cgi?from

*grin*

You're getting that wacky error message about /var/mail because the 'from'
Unix command deals with filtering out the sender and date of incoming mail
messages.

> If I use import Tkinter instead I get the following in the display text
> widget:
>
> zsh: command not found: import

Yes, this looks like everything's going into the zsh interpreter, rather
than Python.

> You were correct about the print statement. I've tried other simple python
> code and it all looks like the output is being parsed by a zsh shell instead
> of python. Any ideas?

Hmmm.... what does the 'commands' module look like?  Since that's the
module responsible for evaluating strings, let's take a look at that
module.

Talk to you later!