[Tutor] General question on Python vs PHP web programming

Tom Churm churmtom@hotmail.com
Fri, 19 Jul 2002 15:01:10 +0200

regarding the info given by Andrei Kulakov:

>Python is much wider in its application. PHP is only meant for writing
>database driven websites; Python is meant for anything from games to
>web browsers to AI bots.

uhh, i believe you're wrong on this one, andrei.  i would agree that python
is more powerful than php, but your minimizing php's abilities when you say
it's 'meant only for writing database driven websites'.

just take a look at the huge library of built-in php functions listed at
http://www.php.net to find out how wrong you are.  and 90% of these
functions work without having to install any extra module; which is
something that i find to be such a pain in the ass with python--with python
you're always searching for modules, and it's not a lot of fun continually
synchronizing the python builds on the various different computers you have
to work on.

php can create dynamic images, dynamic pdf's, and can create dynamic web
pages without using any database, and is even easier to learn than
python--in my humble opinion. the documentation and examples and open source
resources for php are also twice as good as for python.  if you need to find
a code snippet for a specific task, you're likely to find exactly what you
need within ten minutes from the slew of websites that offer such resources
(for free), whereas this kind of thing is hard to find for python.  (ie: try
to find the python equivalent of hotscripts.com for python, and you'll be
out of luck, even taking into account 'vaults of parnassus'). no need to
worry about that fancy-schmanzy spacing syntax in php, either.

add to this the fact that almost every webhoster these days offers php
preinstalled as a standard feature.  lots of luck trying to find a webhoster
that offers python installed at a price comparable to one with just php
installed..

churmtom@hotmail.com
http://www.churm.com