[Tutor] C++, Java, Python, metrics, etc. (was Re: Re: small program in Python and in C++)

alan.gauld@bt.com alan.gauld@bt.com
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 18:06:18 +0100

> RCS?  Don't you mean CVS? ;-).  You don't put all your files in one
> big directory and work on them one person at a time, now do you?
> (I'm just picking on the limitations of RCS that CVS solves)

Actually I do mean RCS because for a maintenance team
parallel development is rarely necessary. To maintain
3,500,000 lines of C++ we only had 8 of us, one being
the team lead (me, who wasn't officially allowed anywhere
near code :-) and another the build manager/regression
tester. So only 6 programmers per se, usually working
independantly on their own bugs/changes. Since we
released patches at least once a week the extra features
of CVS were rarely needed and the warning of parallel
working that RCS gave was a positive advantage.

Nowadays we actually use much heavier weight tools
like ClearCase and Continuus ($$$$$!) which incorporate
change control and fault reporting tools along with
version control.

In the same way the capture of metrics is all done by
commercial tools bought for the purpose and fully
integrated with the CM tool. Thus we can ask it to
generate the metrics for release X.Y and it will
examine the change logs and dump the stats....

The advantage of working in a large organisation is they
can afford such luxuries - in fact they become cost
effective. The disadvantages are obvious to readers of
Dilbert....

Alan g