[Tutor] Re: Looking for peer review

Derrick 'dman' Hudson dman@dman.ddts.net
Sat, 13 Jul 2002 00:22:46 -0500

--TRYliJ5NKNqkz5bu

On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 01:03:03PM -0400, Andrei Kulakov wrote:
| I think this would be much better done with dyndns type of service.
| dyndns.org.

Or DDT (ddts.net).  However, as of this time the ddt client tools
require a POSIX system.  I don't know if you can make them work under
cygwin or not (you'll probably have to rewrite the portion that
queries the OS for the IP of the given interface).

For any solution of this type to work, you need at least one of two
things :
    1)  A fixed host that can act as a registry of the dynamic data.
        With my ddts.net service, that fixed host is ns1.ddts.net (for
        my machine to upload it's info, and as a secondary system for
        your machine to get it from) and ns0.ddts.net.

        This isn't viable in your case because all 3 of you have
        dynamic connections.  Without a external assistance (eg from
        ddts.net or dyndns.org) you lack the central aspect.

or

    2)  A broadcast mechanism by which each of your three hosts can
        shout from the mountain top "here I am, where are you?".

        This is also not viable for you because
            1)  Your ISP and possibly other customers will likely not
                like the broadcast traffic since it only wastes their
                bandwidth and isn't helpful to them.

            2)  If the three of you aren't on the same subnet, you
                won't have the same broadcast address anyways, so you
                can't broadcast then.

                (with IP, broadcasting only works on local networks;
                this is a feature since a broadcast uses resources on
                _every_ host on the subnet; you wouldn't want to
                receive a "hi I just booted" message from a windows
                machine in another state!)

HTH,
-D

--=20
=20
If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his
cross and follow me.  For whoever wants to save his life will lose it,
but whoever loses his life for me and for the gospel will save it.  What
good is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his soul?  Or
what can a man give in exchange for his soul?
        Mark 8:34-37
=20
http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/

--TRYliJ5NKNqkz5bu