[Tutor] more problems, my final questions

Danny Yoo dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 00:27:23 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Kyle,

> New problems has arisin.  I was wondering if there was way to replace:
> if begin in "Yy":
>         print "why is the sky blue?"
>
> With something like:
> if begin == "Y" "y":
>         print "why isn't the sky green or purple?"

By the way, the statement above translates to:

    "if begin is equal to the string 'Yy', do this:..."

because if two literal strings are together like that, they'll stick
together.  For example:

> I'm asking because I recently added:
> else begin in "CustomcustomCUSTOM":

I think that you're trying to find if there's a substring of begin within
that "CustomcustomCUSTOM" string.  If so, there's another way of
expressing this:

###
def substring(word, sentence):
    return sentence.find(word) != -1