[Tutor] OOP Newbie Q

Alan Colburn aicolburn@yahoo.com
Mon, 1 Jul 2002 10:28:47 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all--

As I work through various tutorials, trying to
understand OOP fundamentals, I keep bumping into the
same question -- how do you set up a user interfact to
instatiate (or create :-) multiple objects of the same
type?

An example would probably make my question clearer. In
honor of Alan Gauld's nice tutorial, I'll use his OOP
example -- a program to work with bank accounts, via a
class called BankAccount. To create a new account
object, of course, you just write:

<object name>=BankAccount()

filling <object name> with a different name for each
account holder. Presumably a bank would have hundreds
of BankAccount objects in its program.

My question is about how I'd set up a user interface
to create a new account. How can you create a new
object without having to manually enter the source
code each time?

a=BankAccount()
b=BankAccount()
c=BankAccount()

This would get a bit tedious after awhile! I get stuck
because if you ask the user for info that could lead
to an account name, with something like the raw_input
statement, the resulting information is string type,
so I can't use it to create the object. In other
words, code like this wouldn't work for creating a new
BankAccount object:

acctName=raw_input("Account name? ")
acctName=BankAccount()

Any thoughts? Thanks! -- Al C.