[Tutor] [Tutor]: Totally laughable basic questions

Wesley Chun wesc@deirdre.org
Thu, 24 Jan 2002 21:47:01 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 15 Jan 2002, McCarney, James Alexander wrote:

> I am a programming neophyte.
>
> Yes in my day-to-day life I use tools (usually text editing, manipulation=
,
> etc.), and these tools often involve 'programming' of a sort;
> but now I want to 'look under the hood.'

congratulations for wanting to take the next step!
you are definitely one of the users that Guido has
been advocating all these years... giving everyone
the ability to "scratch their own itch," or so he
puts it!

> I have heard of, and seen, the wonders of XML; and I am even aware [ gasp=
!
> ;-) ] of basic OOP programming principles;
> but I am often perplexed about how to tie everything together.

right.  you have all the pieces of the puzzle but
just want to know how they play well together.

> What is more embarrassing (for me at least) is knowing when (AND WHY!) to
> use a dictionary, a tuple, a string object, etc.
> And when (AND WHY!) to slice, dice, concatenate, or otherwise fr*g with t=
he
> contents of these groups.

good question.  software engineers are just problem-solvers
and these are the tools they can use to help them achieve
their goals.  as others have pointed out, each of these types
of "data structures" have their own unique features and uses.
the hard part is figuring out which to use and where.  the
best answer that can be given is to think of solving a problem
*like* a computer... which one of these are the "best fit" for
the problem at hand to try and move it towards a solution.

un4tunately, these things take time and experience for which
there is no experience for.  i would suggest you take a few
simple problems and use Python to help solve them.  that will
give you a quick-start on the road to programming!!

> Maybe Python-Tutor is not the place for these type of questions, and if
so,
> I apologise. If some kind soul out in Pythonland is aware of
> completely pre-basic tutors that can help me out with various elementary
> programming concepts I would be most grateful.

the Tutor mailing list is the perfect place.  let us know
your progress!!

-wesley

"Core Python Programming", Prentice Hall PTR, =A9 2001
    http://starship.python.net/crew/wesc/cpp/

    wesley.j.chun :: wesc@deirdre.org
    cyberweb.consulting : henderson, nv : cyberweb@rocketmail.com
    http://www.roadkill.com/~wesc/cyberweb/