[Tutor] Gaining Multiprocessor Systems' Throughput Benefits

Fred Allen fallen@leveltwo.com
Thu, 24 Jan 2002 14:45:27 -0800

Dear Sirs and Mesdames:

I understand that Python's interpreter sets a global lock that
bars concurrently active multiple threads.  Thus, Python's
threading model provides no direct means to benefit from
multiprocessors.  I've related  questions and a request.  I
fear this mayn't be the forum for either.  If it isn't, I'd
be just as pleased by the identity of a preferable forum.

1.  I cannot find a PEP describing any change that might
enable Python's threading model to gain the benefits of
multiple processors.  Has such a change been considered and
rejected? Tabled for later consideration, e.g., Python 3.0?

2.  Have any among you used multiple instantiations of the
Python interpreter to gain some of the benefits
multiprocessor systems offer?  If so, would you please bare
the code by which you did so and some estimate of the
marginal gain per additional processor?

With thanks in advance for any help,  I am,

Respectfully,

Fred Allen