[Tutor] Python vs. PHP

Lloyd Kvam pythontutor@venix.com
Thu, 24 Jan 2002 17:43:27 -0500

Yet another choice is a web server written in your scripting language.  The server is
also the application.  ZOPE is a great example of this approach.  You can use your
own Python scripts to implement functions or configure / program ZOPE's facilities.

ZOPE comes with DB access built in.  Executing an SQL command and embedding the results
in a web page is very easy.  There are (finally) books that offer reasonable guidance
in using ZOPE as well as many online references.

If you already have working Python scripts that generate HTML and simply need to be
hooked up to an HTTP server, CGI may be much simpler.