Thanks for all the answers!: RE: [Tutor] "There should be one and preferabley one "

Karthik Gurumurthy karthikg@aztec.soft.net
Mon, 21 Jan 2002 17:32:29 +0530

> Practicality beats purity.

> It's a nice guideline, but not a holy law. Other ways to do something can
be
> added if Guido thinks it is worth it.

> In Perl, it seems it is actually a *goal* to have several ways to do the
> same thing, in Python it's seen as a negative thing (if there's no other
> benefit), but not more than that.

> [ In fact, zip() and map(None,) differ in their effect when two lists with
  unequal sizes are used - try it ]

>--
>Remco Gerlich

thanks. Thanks for pointing out the difference,
i found that map retains the items from the bigger list while zip does not.

Moreover,  i wanted to thank the list for being so helpful. I did'nt want to
flood
the list with "thank you" messages everytime my queries got answered, though
i wanted to!
I don't think anyone can find better explanations anywhere else..this list
is that good!

I'm conducting a 1 hour presentation on python @ our place every week and
it's being received well.
I figured out that introducing a language in an hour is one hell of a job
but managed somehow.
It's been great fun and learning for me, for i have never made any
presentations on a language before.
I had to do a bit of reading on Perl too to contrast it with python. Our
guys know Perl.
We have 200 odd developers @ our place and I hope to add a handful of guys
to the py-community
through my humble efforts.
This would not have been possible w/o the help of this great list!

karthik.