[Tutor] Why does pygame still not work?

Danny Yoo dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Sat, 19 Jan 2002 22:41:47 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 19 Jan 2002, James M Lang wrote:

> Thanks. I don't even know how to program yet. Gotta start reading
> those tutorials.  --

Don't worry about it.  You got me interested in pygame; I'm playing around
with it now.  *grin*

> > It looks like they check for font support like this:
> >
> >###
> >try:
> >    import pygame.font
> >except ImportError:
> >    print 'Warning, fonts disabled'
> >    pygame.font = None
> >try:
> >    import pygame.mixer
> >except ImportError:
> >    print 'Warning, sound disabled'
> >    pygame.mixer = None
> >###

I did a followup, and found this:

    http://archives.seul.org/pygame/users/Jan-2002/msg00020.html

The pygame developers just recently fixed pygame so that if any of the
optional modules (like font) are missing, they'll be set to None for
convenience's sake.

However, notice that they made this change very recently, around January
5th.  It's likely that the chimp tutorial assumes that we have the newest
pygame that's in development, so it'd probably best to keep our eyes open
to this until a new pygame release is available.

Hope this helps!