[Tutor] error trap

kirk Bailey idiot1@netzero.net
Fri, 18 Jan 2002 03:25:38 -0500

Danny Yoo wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Jan 2002, kirk Bailey wrote:
>
> > ok, built a pretty blunt weapon to handle errors.
> >
> > IN TLpost.py;
> > for to_addr in members :                # for each address in
> > 'listnamemembers',
> >         # print "to_addr: ", to_addr
> >         # print "from_addr: ", from_addr
> >         # print "msg=" + CRLF, msg
> >         try:
> >                 server.sendmail(from_addr, to_addr, msg)        # 400 send envlope and msg!
> >         except:
> >                 print "Bad address='"+to_addr+"'"
>
> It might be good to also print out the error message that the system
> itself gives.  Every exception that gets thrown brings with it a useful
> error message for debugging purposes.  So:
>
> ###
> try:
>     server.sendmail(from_addr, to_addr, msg)
> except Exception, e:
         ^^^^^^^^^  ^ ??? more data please?
>     print "Bad address='"+to_addr+"'"
>     print "exception message:", e <-- this must be ther actual error reported?

> ###
>
> is more informative, if a bit uglier.  Still, it'll help if anything weird
> happens.

Should I install a wierdness magnet? Maybe a prayer wheel to obtain
blessings?

To perdition with cosmetics, just help me understand it!
(we can pretty up the listing later...)

> > Testing with a known bad address in the list, it comes up with an
> > error print, and finishes the job.
>
> The reason why we still want to print out the exception is as a worst-case
> thing: what if there were some other way to make server.sendmail() die
> other than a bad 'to_addr'?  There probably isn't a way, but let's make
> certain that, in the case that we've overlooked something, we'll still get
> useful information from the error.

Sounds like a plan to me, just tell me a little more bout this
statement I threw carrots at.
(bad pun I know.)
--

 -Respectfully,