[Tutor] facing a new project

Danny Yoo dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Tue, 15 Jan 2002 18:00:35 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 16 Jan 2002 mikalzet@libero.it wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Jan 2002, glidedon wrote:
>
> > I'm new to programming, new to Python and need tutoring :-)
> > ( I also am an old dog trying to learn new tricks )
>
> Sounds like we've got a lot in common. At least; I'm a babe to
> programming, but I am an old dog ... probably a bit past the age were
> most people take programming up.

Down with ageism!

I'm serious.  It's wonderful to have people of different ages here.
Where else can we do something like this?  *grin*

> If I ever wished to seriously face a new project of this sort, what is
> the best way to go about it ? First make a gross design of the whole
> thing ( database schema, classes etc. ) and then start tackling it, or
> start with small bits of code like the truck drivers log book and then
> just try to extend it bit by bit ? Not that I'm yet really convinced I
> mean to do this ...

A rough design and working code sounds like a good approach.  According to
Richard Gabriel, it's more important to get something out that sorta works
and then gradually fix that, rather than try to get everything perfect at
once.  I believe he termed the phrase "Worse Is Better":

    http://www.dreamsongs.com/WorseIsBetter.html

So I wouldn't obsess too much about design, since your program's
requirements sound pretty fluid.