[Tutor] Revision codes

Grimmtooth grimmtoothtoo@yahoo.com
Sun, 13 Jan 2002 19:20:59 -0500

> Defining revision codes, how when and whyfore.
>
> version #.#.#
> major/significant/minor, hugher numbers being newer than smaller ones.

I have no idea what the /de facto/ standard in opensourceworld is, but
within my workplace, we use the following:

> Start with 1.0.0;

We call the three major.minor.revision

Revisions are bumped for bugfixes of a release. Therefore, we release
1.00.00, we fix a bug we bump to 1.00.01.

Minors are bumped when changes to the software require revision of the
documentation.  Add a new menu to the software, bump the minor. Thus going
from 1.00.01 and adding a new menu, we go to 1.01.00.

Majors are bumped arbitrarilly, but generally reflect a major design change.
For example, if we add a new peripheral type to the software, we go from
1.01.00 to 2.00.00.  Or if we add a new platform, we also bump the major.

I have also seen the use of two-digit to be literal: i.e. 2.1 is not the
same as 2.10.  So be sure to fix yourself on one right away.