[Tutor] tcl/tkinter on python 2.1 for mac os x

Eric Leary ericleary@pcisys.net
Wed, 9 Jan 2002 21:16:20 -0700

In Oct 2001 I downloaded python 2.1 for mac os x.

I am learning python from Gauld's book and Laningham's book.

the download has a note where the tkinter modules should be saying they
are not available yet.

now on Apple OS X site tcl tkinter is appearing as a link to a  file
that can be downloaded

does this mean I can get the tkinter modules for macpython on OS X?  my
own casting about has not turned them up.

PS:  There is kind of a gap between what's covered in the above cited
books and the regular list of  books.  (lutz, chun, etc.) can someone
cook  up some useless but instructive exercises (with code listing) for
simplified spreadsheet (dumber than dan bricklin visicalc) and flatfile
database so that old farts like me who are learning to code as a
cultural endeavor rather a productive one can get an idea of how these
types of apps are made. (yes i know visicalc was not made with an OO
language, still...) I can sort of think of a way to make  a database
with dictionarys and I can mostly wrap my head around how do do it with
objects but I don't really get how to do the methods for a record
object.  (laningham has a database project but I need one a little
simpler to start with) for real programmers this is stupid of course
because they would just use one of the cool db api(s).  maybe  something
that could also show the easier to implement ideas of relational dbs as
well  (although I assume there aren't any of those!)

thanks

ericleary@pcisys.net