[Tutor] Learning Programming

alan.gauld@bt.com alan.gauld@bt.com
Fri, 4 Jan 2002 17:47:18 -0000

> From: Robin B. Lake [mailto:rbl@hal.epbi.cwru.edu]
> learn that you DON'T want to "learn a programming language", but
> rather should "learn how to program".

This is excellent advice. Its the reason I used 3 languages
on my web tutor rather than just python: to try to illustrate
that the same principles apply in all languages.

> children, learn to read before we learn to write.

Thats also good advice, I can read many programming languages
(around 30 maybe?) but I can only write in about 12...

> Learning to WRITE a program should, in  my experience, be done with
> "pseudocode" --- that expresses the structures and the logic of
> the problem,...
> THEN you can decide which language will best fit your problem.

Also very good advice.

Alan g.
Author of the 'Learning to Program' web site