[Tutor] IP numbers and Python

dman dsh8290@rit.edu
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 00:32:55 -0500

On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 07:59:49PM -0800, Kirby Urner wrote:

| In a desperate attempt to tie this back to Python,
| I'd say low-level packet interception and analysis
| (as might happen in a firewall), is one of those
| kinds of applications that Python is *not* good
| at....  ok, I said it was desperate.

Right.  That sort of operation needs to be inside the kernel, in the
TCP (or UDP) / IP stack.

| PS:  when considering hardware switches/hubs, think
| about the wireless option too.

Think about it, but think hard.  One potential scenario is that
someone else (a "bad guy") with a wireless interface is (at some point
in time) close enough to join your network.  Now he is behind your
firewall, through no fault of the firewall's.  Security on a wireless
network is much more difficult than with a wired one.  It is nice,
though (I imagine), if you have a laptop or other mobile  device.

-D

--

The truly righteous man attains life,
but he who pursues evil goes to his death.