[Tutor] IP numbers and Python

Kojo Idrissa kojo@hal-pc.org
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 14:19:38 -0600

On Wed, 27 Feb 2002 09:54:01 -0800
>Another alternative is a self-contained router. I've seen
>a 4-port from
>LinkSys that has a firewall for a couple-hundred dollars.
>Has a nice
>browser-based interface, etc.

I saw one of these at my local MicroCenter.  $99 for a
four port-er.  I'm in the process of building a home
network and I considered getting one to share my DSL with
the network.

Now, (to bring this back on topic) what would be
interesting would be a Python script that parsed your
firewall log files for the IPs (and/or any other info you
wanted), then used the DNS lookup site Llyod (I think)
mentioned to get some idea of where the scans are coming
from.  You could even get fancy and have it create a graph
of some sort...percentage of scans/attacks from various
addresses or address block owners or ISPs.  You could even
keep track of the information over time, to see what
trends develop.  I'm pretty sure all the functionality for
this exists in various Python modules.

Hmmm...I just might try that myself once I get my home
network up and running.  Sounds like a good project for
someone wanting to get into Networking.  (That would be
me...)

Don't you love it when a seemingly off-topic post gives
birth to new ideas?
:-)