[Tutor] IP numbers

Kirby Urner urnerk@qwest.net
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 09:32:25 -0800

>I have Norton Internet Security which has stopped him so far, but I wanted
>to go
>a step further and not allow him to find me.  I don't know why this person
>is comming
>after me.
>
>Cameron

Note:

I don't know if this is your situation, but some people
who get a firewall for the first time (either hardware,
or more likely a software product, like ZoneAlarm or
a Norton thing), and have it log port scans (attempts
to find security holes), are alarmed by the number of
such attempts.  This is especially true if you computer
is "always on" (the Internet that is, e.g. when you have
DSL or a cable modem).

What you will find is that cyberspace if full of this
background noise of port scanning.  People are running
these bots to look for holes.  There aren't necessarily
people actively paying much attention -- they look over
the results later.

So if what you're seeing are just random reports of
being scanned, even by the same IP-domain each time,
don't think you have to run off and change your IP
number.  It'll happen with the new number too, as a
lot of the scanning bots just check huge ranges of
possible numbers.

And don't take it too personally.  Think of mosquitos
in the forest, trying to find some blood to suck.
Carry repellant, zip up your tent, but if you want
to be in the forest at all, you're going to have to
put up with pests.

Kirby