[Tutor] IP numbers

dman dsh8290@rit.edu
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 22:55:51 -0500

On Tue, Feb 26, 2002 at 08:58:46PM -0600, Cameron Stoner wrote:
| Hi to all,
|
| This isn't really a Python question, but it is a computer one.
|
| Can you change your computers IP address?  If you can how?

Depends on your system.  Given that you're using OE, I'll assume
you've got a MS platform.

First, what Kirby said.  You want your IP to fit with your network's
topology or else you'll get nasty routing errors and won't be
"connected".

Second, if you do want to change what your machine thinks is it's IP,
go to the network section of the control panel.  In some version of
windows (I'm not sure which, and MS keeps moving it), right-click on
Network Neighborhood.  Click on Properties.  Go to the TCP/IP adapter
you want to change (likely you only have one, but some systems have
multiple NICs).  Select it and click the button that says
"properties".  One of the tabs in the resulting dialog has two radio
buttons.  They say :
    Obtain an IP automagically.  (this means DHCP)
    Specify an IP address.

If you pick the first one (you probably have), then try running
'winipcfg' and releasing, then renewing, the lease.  (that only works
with the 95/98/me family, don't know where it is in 2k)  DHCP means
that a server is configured to assign IP addresses and also give your
machine routing and nameserver information.  This is probably want you
want for your system to work, and you have no control over what IP you
get.

If you pick the second one, you can enter any IP address in the box.
Then you need to specify a default gateway too.  You shouldn't do this
unless you know what you are doing.  If you enter an IP that belongs
to someone else, you'll get lots of mis-directed packets (actually,
the other person will, you won't get any) if your ISP even routes your
requests.  This is kinda like putting my address on a letter you drop
off at the post office.  When the person writes back, they'll only
have my address and I, not you, will get their letter.

There is another possibility, though.  If you use a regular modem to
dial-in to your ISP, then you have no control over your IP at all.

-D

--

If your company is not involved in something called "ISO 9000" you
probably have no idea what it is.  If your company _is_ involved in ISO