[Tutor] Working with Email question [new 'email' module in Python 2.2]

Tim Peters tim.one@comcast.net
Sat, 23 Feb 2002 18:40:18 -0500

[Danny Yoo]
>     http://www.python.org/doc/lib/module-email.html
>
> Wow!  I didn't notice this module before.  There's a new 'email' module
> that was introduced in Python 2.2, and it looks interesting.  Does anyone
> have any experiement with the 'email' module?

Barry Warsaw sure does, since he wrote it <wink>.  He's also the primary
author of GNU Mailman -- that's the program that manages all the Python
mailing lists (like, say, this one!).

Unfortunately, way too many people have bumped into a bug in the 2.2 email:
if a MIME message claims to be multipart, but actually contains only one
part, Mailman raises a bogus exception in some contexts.  I think Barry
never bumped into this because the mail composers he uses never produce MIME
that lame (*claiming* that a one-part message is multipart isn't exactly
smart).  This is fixed in current CVS, and should ship in the 2.2.1 bugfix
release, which Michael Hudson is winding down on (so I guess will happen
within a few weeks).