[Tutor] Python Books for Newbies

Britt Green cheshire_cat_sf@yahoo.com
Wed, 20 Feb 2002 10:16:29 -0800 (PST)

> From: "Hellenic Dolphin" <hellenicdolphin@hotmail.com>
> To: tutor@python.org
> Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 18:49:12 +0200
> Subject: [Tutor] Newbie!
>
> Hi everybody!
>
> I'm a newbie in programming languages and I was instructed to begin
> with
> Python! Could you please tell me the correct steps, should I make, in
> order
> to really learn the language and be possible to write serious
> programes?

Hello Thanos,

As someone who has struggled with various language's, I've found Python
to be very easy to understand and program in.

The first book I would recommend on Python would be Alan Gauld's _Learn
to Program Using Python_. Its very well written, but doesn't get bogged
down with a lot of little mostly inconsequential details which can be
very frustrating for a beginner (at least that's how I found it.)

Once you have a firm handle on the basics, I would recommend Wesley
Chun's _Core Python Programming_. This book is more in depth and covers
a more topics (such as CGI programming, networking and some Tk/Tcl
programming) than Mr Gauld's book. However, it seems to assume you have
some working knowledge of Python, the kind of knowledge that _Learn to
Program Using Python_ gave me.

As an aside, both of the authors are frequent contributors to this list
as well.

Happy coding,

Britt

=====
"The ocean, she is strange and wondrous, filled with animals that disturb even a Frenchman."