[Tutor] Python database options

Pijus Virketis virketis@fas.harvard.edu
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 10:13:59 -0500

Brad,

> 5. Postgres, MySQL + Python bindings

I suggest you pick one of these databases, and move your data to it. My
reasoning is rather simple: both of them are free, they will give you great
speed and flexibility, and, perhaps most important, if you want to do
something a bit more sophisticated later on, they will scale and expand
nicely. And trust me, once you have, say, a MySQL db set up, you will
immediately think of five interesting ways to slice and dice your data ...
:)

The actual process of moving should be fairly straightforward. MySQL and
probably Postgres should come standard with your RH distro. The Python
interface to the former is here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mysql-python/ and for the latter here
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pypgsql/. Check out the docs for the Python
DB API and other interesting info here:
http://www.python.org/topics/database/. Then, it's just a question of
opening up a connection, reading your 150000 lines one by one, and inserting
them into the table. While you're at it, you might want to normalise it as
well, since 10 fields sounds a bit much. :)

Cheers,

Pijus