[Tutor] graphing with Python

Pijus Virketis virketis@fas.harvard.edu
Mon, 4 Feb 2002 10:55:10 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_00EB_01C1AD6A.6A4219A0

Dear all,

While working with Matlab on my school's server, I realised that most of =
the numeric things I was doing could be accomplished handily with Pyhon =
- for free, at home, and using my favourite language to boot. The only =
lacking feature was graphing, which admitedly is very easy and seamless =
in Matlab. I turned to google, and found out that many people had =
actually solved that problem. Alas, if anything, it's too many, because =
there is a dozen packages out there, while I have little time to check =
out all of them and still want to use the best one for my purposes. :) =
So, I would like to hear your recommendations for a graphing package for =
Python. My own use is lightweight: mostly, I want to quickly plot out =
the functions I encounter in my real analysis class for visualisation =
and understanding. So I want something that is simple, interactive, and =
can display in a window rather than outputing to a pdf or a tiff. I can =
use Linux-based tools, but at this time Windows would be more useful =
(can't print from Linux :( ).=20

Cheers,=20

Pijus

------=_NextPart_000_00EB_01C1AD6A.6A4219A0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Dear all,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>While working with Matlab on my =
school's server, I=20
realised that most of the numeric things I was doing could be =
accomplished=20
handily with Pyhon - for free, at home,&nbsp;and using my favourite =
language to=20
boot. The only lacking feature was graphing, which admitedly is very =
easy and=20
seamless in Matlab. I turned to google, and found out that many people =
had=20
actually solved that problem. Alas, if anything, it's too many, because =
there is=20
a dozen packages out there, while I have little time to check out all of =
them=20
and still want to use the best one for my purposes. :) So, I would like =
to hear=20
your recommendations for a graphing package for Python. My own use is=20
lightweight: mostly, I want to quickly plot out the functions I =
encounter in my=20
real analysis class for visualisation and understanding. So I want =
something=20
that&nbsp;is simple, interactive, and can display in a window rather =
than=20
outputing to&nbsp;a pdf or a tiff. I can use Linux-based tools, but at =
this time=20
Windows would be more useful (can't print from Linux :( ). </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Cheers, </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Pijus</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00EB_01C1AD6A.6A4219A0--