[Tutor] How do I get Python on Mac?

Remco Gerlich scarblac@pino.selwerd.nl
Mon, 4 Feb 2002 15:34:36 +0100

On  0, James M Lang <jimmy_130@lycos.com> wrote:
> I've got an old Mac that I want to use. The problem is that it doesn't
> have internet access. MacPython is too big to be put on floppy disk so how
> can I split it up, put it on disks, and reassemble them on the Mac? And
> another thing, what is this "hacking" I keep hearing about?

Unfortunately I know nothing about Macs, so I can't help you there.

"Hacking" is used with two meanings these days; one of them is breaking into
computers and other software. It's illegal, and not a subject we discuss
here. I call that "cracking".

The other meaning is closer to "ad hoc programming". A program can be a
quick hack for a one time use, a small but very flexible web browser is a
neat hack, a real hacker of old has a beard, long hair, and will patch three
operating systems running in his Emacs elisp system before ordering a Thai
dinner that can't be beat.

There is a popular FAQ that tries to tell people that hacking is not
breaking into computers, that refers to Python as a good language to start
with; it's at http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html .

That FAQ was written by opinionated hacker/gun nut Eric S. Raymond, who is
also current editor of the Jargon File, a sort of hacker dictionary, fun to
read, at http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/jargon/html/index.html . He's also
written many other things, both in prose and in code.

Of course, when people come in here for help on hacking, we'll assume they
belong to the right side of the Force, and just try to teach them about
programming :-).

--
Remco Gerlich