[Tutor] CHORTLING OVER MY KEYBOARD

Israel Evans israel@lith.com
Fri, 1 Feb 2002 12:44:14 -0800

Ouch!   :)

	Actually, seeing as I'm not the most technically knowledgeable I
can't think of a really good way to only punish/confuse the Spammers other
than by Social, Cultural and Economic Methods.  Digital Communications,
especially email, are particularly vulnerable and far from private.  The
methods of Obfuscation and Intrusion available to the Spammer, as far as I
know, are far greater in number and power than their victim's abilities and
tools.

	The best way to solve a problem is to find the root cause, right?
Most evidence points to the fact that Spam Email is sent in order to make
people money.  The Spammer doesn't care how annoying he/she is.  They just
want to grab as many minds as possible.  Mass Mailings are an easy, cheap
and nearly consequence free option for a Spammer.  It seems to me that
Capitalism, with it's overwhelming call for everyone to live their lives in
pursuit of profit, and it's commoditization of absolutely everything, is the
Primary cause of Spam.

	We could delve even deeper and come to realize that anytime anyone
wants something they will do whatever it is they can that fits into their
own personal ethics to achieve it regardless of monetary compensation.  It's
still a manifestation of greed, however, in that the Spammer refuses to
recognize the discomfort he/she causes everyone they mail out.  In actuality
though the Spammer may perceive their actions as fully beneficial for
everyone involved. "Who wouldn't want my product that guarantees liposuction
like results in 20 minutes without surgery."  So it becomes obvious that as
long as a tool exists and people have the inclination to abuse it, some
greedy, shortsighted soul will indeed do so.

	As far as a Pythonic way of solving this issue, or at least coming
up with a new weapon in the arsenal against the War Against Terr.. er...
Spam, I'm at a loss.  Though I can load up text files and do neat stuff with
lists!

I hope I was serious enough.  8)

~Israel~