[Tutor] Show commands

Danny Yoo dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Fri Dec 27 03:08:01 2002

On Thu, 26 Dec 2002, Adam Vardy wrote:

> I am trying to follow an example. And it says
> deck.deal([hand],5)

Hi Adam,

> I am completely confused.

That makes two of us.  *grin*

I'm actually not familiar with the example that you're using; I'm guessing
that it has something to do with shuffled decks and card games, but other
than that, not much else.

Can you point out where you found this example?  Is it part of some
tutorial?

> It does something. But can I get some program that could just show me
> all the commands or functions that are run in order so I can see them?
> And try to follow what it's doing?

The problem is that there is an abundance of commands and functions in
Python.  The documentors have collected descriptions of this "Standard
Library" here:

    http://python.org/doc/lib

but it might be a bit overwhelming; most of the functions are segmented
off into their own groups of modules, and it's exhaustive.  I wouldn't
recommend reading it like a novel.

I'm guessing that you're going through some sample program and trying to
figure out how it works.  If so, please feel free to post small programs
up on Tutor, and we can help point out parts of the program that might be
troubling for you, and give links to specific parts of the Standard
Library docs that should help.

Best of wishes to you!