[Tutor] Re: Better (free) IDEs than IDLE for Linux ?

Derrick 'dman' Hudson dman@dman.ddts.net
Tue Dec 17 00:36:34 2002

--FCuugMFkClbJLl1L

On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 05:14:11PM -0000, alan.gauld@bt.com wrote:
| >  Which other (free) IDE's / enhanced Py interpreters do you like
| >  better the  standard Python interpreter and IDLE - for Linux ? =20
| =20
| The best development environment for Linux(or any Unix) is Linux itself.
| Linux is a complete and fully integrated development environment, it=20
| just doesn't look like a Windows IDE thats all.
| =20
| Using vim and the :! command and a couple of xterm sessions may not=20
| look like an IDE but the fact that they all talk to one another and=20
| use a common language - text - means it is. And once you get used=20
| to it its more effective than any Visual Basic type IDE can ever=20
| hope to be.

I agree.  Alan has just described my IDE right here.  As part of the
toolset, check out the 'ctags' program and the support vim (and emacs)
has for it.  It allows you to jump to various locations (eg class or
function definitions) in the source.  It is _extremely_ valueable when
working on large source trees.  In addition, these tools all work for
Java, C, C++, and other languages as well.  You don't need to learn a
brand new environment if you need to work with other programming languages.

-D

--=20
Running Windows is kinda like playing blackjack:
User stays on success, reboots on failure
=20
http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/

--FCuugMFkClbJLl1L

--FCuugMFkClbJLl1L--