[Tutor] Better (free) IDEs than IDLE for Linux ?

Aztech Guy aztech1200@yahoo.com
Sun Dec 15 09:26:01 2002

--0-350225864-1039962347=:66242

Thanks. I'll check out Boa. Actually, I haven't started with Python GUI programming. So far only CUI. But am planning to do it soon. I was going to go with PyQt, based on a little experience with Qt (with C++, using the example programs - also the Qt docs seem very good)) and based on some articles by Boudewijn Rempt and Cameron Laird, who recommend it. (Not really done an in-depth analysis before making this decision, because I don't have a lot of GUI development experience anyway - just done a little in VB and Delphi. Mostly worked on UNIX/DOS/WIndows CUI apps.) Do you use wxPython ? What's your opinion about it vs. PyQt ?
BTW, I liked your series of replies to Poor Yorick about separation of GUI logic from business logic - it helped me to understand this area a little better.
Az.
 Magnus Lycka <magnus@thinkware.se> wrote:At 04:00 2002-12-15 -0800, Aztech Guy wrote:
>Which other (free) IDE's / enhanced Py interpreters do you like better the

I've tested IPython (0.2.14pre46) on Win32 recently, and it

A minimalistic IDE, more intended to non-programmers who want
to use python as an advanced calculator is Jean-Michel Fauth's
psi.

I recently tried Boa Constructor, and if you use wxPython for
GUI building, I think this is something to look closer at. I've
mainly tried the debugging features, and they are impressive.
I've never seen anything work well for debugging wxPython GUI
code in a GUI before. It's not as good as PythonWin for pure
editing in my opinion, and I haven't tried the GUI building
features, but I think this will be a serious contender to the
commercial products such as Wing and wxDesigner in time...

I think Boa works as well with Linux as with Windows.

--
Magnus Lycka, Thinkware AB