[Tutor] Pythonpath

alan.gauld@bt.com alan.gauld@bt.com
Wed Dec 11 19:44:23 2002

> The really stupid design decision in DOS wasn't to use
> "/" for command switches though, but to use the character
> that C etc used for escape sequences "\". I guess the reason
> they did that was because "/" was used for the switches,

ISTR CP/M used '/' for switches and DOS was originally a cheap
emulator of CP/M for Intel 8088 (hence the presence of the
ERA command)

> I know. It belongs to the same mistakes as 8.3 filenames
> and file allocation tables.

Yep, they come from CP/M too. Back when a floppy was 8 inches
square, really was floppy and stored 180Kb and hard disks only
existed for mainframes and Midis(anyone still talk about midis? :-)

Alan g.