[Tutor] Re: complex numbers: j vs. i

Andres Rosado arosado@softhome.net
Sat, 24 Aug 2002 21:16:14 -0400

At 12:00 PM 8/23/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>If I recall correctly, j is commonly used in engineering notation, so it
>would be more familiar to someone who already used it in their own
>equations.

This is especially true in electric engineering. The current is represented
with the letter `i', so using `i' for complex number will make things more
difficult to understand.

Andres Rosado
Email: andresr@despammed.com
ICQ: 66750646
Homepage: http://andres980.tripod.com/

If the designers of X-window built cars, there would be no fewer than five
steering wheels hidden about the cockpit, none of which followed the same
principles -- but you'd be able to shift gears with your car stereo.  Useful
feature, that.
                 -- From the programming notebooks of a heretic, 1990.