[Tutor] Lance E Sloan"help"

python python <python@inkedmn.net>
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 10:26:16 -0700

hello,

i added some stuff to that code, here it is:

def getStuff(file):
    info = open(file, 'r')
    infolines = info.readlines()
    linenum = 1
    totalwords = 0
    for line in infolines:
        words = line.split(' ')
        print "Line %d contains %d words" % (linenum, len(words))
        linenum += 1
        totalwords += len(words)
    print "Total lines:", linenum - 1
    print "Average words per line:", float(totalwords)/linenum - 1
file = raw_input("Enter the filename: ")
getStuff(file)

and here's what the output looks like:

C:\python wordcount.py
Enter the filename: gpl.txt