[Tutor] Girls, women and Programming (- and Python)

Rob Brown-Bayliss rob@zoism.org
20 Aug 2002 12:49:42 +1200

On Sun, 2002-08-04 at 12:22, Gregor Lingl wrote:

> And consequently
> 2) How do I get them interested? Which kinds of material, approaches,
> examples etc. are appealing to female students?

another thought for an introduction to programming, and one that might
get a lot of interests is POVray.

Kind of like logo was used when I was in school, teaching the very
basics (loops, checking one value against another, thinking about the
intended result before starting etc).

It's quite quick for small simple renderings, free so not a burden to a
school etc.

Might do quite well for the first few lessons, then take what they have
learned and use it with python, getting another lessons in the process,
Languages are similar in may respects and that skills from one can be
used in another.

--

*
*  Rob Brown-Bayliss