[Tutor] where does pythonpath go?

Laney Mills millsl@cofc.edu" <millsl@cofc.edu
Wed, 14 Aug 2002 07:16:48 -0400

I'm running Python 2.2 on a Windows 98se system.  I just downloaded the pil
thing (what is it called, a library?), but, of course, the Python2.2
couldn't find it.  The install program put it in C:\py22.  My python
installation is in c:\my programs\python22.

I drug the three files in the distribution:  pil, dlls, and samples into my
python22 directory under the filename pil:  ex:

C:\program files\python22\pil\{dlls, pil, samples}

Still the python couldn't find it.

I checked vis

sys
sys.path

and the pil stuff isn't there, so of course, I need to put it there
somehow.

Incidentally,  I had no difficulty like this at all with the visual
library.  I installer found the python22 directory and put the visual stuff
in a subdirectory and python found it with no trouble.

This experience is surely one that everyone using pil on a windows system
would run into, yet as far as I can tell, the entire python documentation
system takes the point of view that there is no such problem.

frustration

Thanks in advance.  Laney Mills