[Tutor] Re: fnord

Derrick 'dman' Hudson dman@dman.ddts.net
Wed, 7 Aug 2002 13:08:55 -0400

--8t9RHnE3ZwKMSgU+

On Wed, Aug 07, 2002 at 09:15:28AM -0500, Rob wrote:
|=20
| > 1)  It is really really (did I say really?) annoying to people who try
| >     to actually use your archives later.
| >
| > 2)  If you can programmatically encode the text, then another program
| >     can programmatically decode it.  IOW it won't have any positive
| >     effect once the spammers decide that it is worth their effort to
| >     (programmatically) decode your style of munging.
|=20
| I've yet to see a form of munging that made it annoying or difficult for =
me
| to make out people's email addresses with the naked eye. But I'm not
| everyone (except in some interesting hypothetical models of metaphysics, =
of
| course).

Use your web browser and browse the archives.  When you find an
interesting post that you want to discuss with the author, highlight
and copy the address from the page onto your system's clipboard.  Now
fire up your mail client and paste it in the "to" field.  Oops, that
didn't work, you now must de-munge the text manually.  (hence
"annoying")

Once I made just such a copy-n-paste error no less that 3 times in a
row (on the same address, after my message bounced).  Not only that,
but the address didn't come off a web page and had been munged by hand
in the first place.

| What if not all addresses were munged the same way? A munging application
| could have several different mung styles built in, and randomly choose wh=
ich
| one to apply for each email address to be munged. That would be a little
| trickier to code around, I'd wager.

Nah, just use a regex to identify which of the finite (and small, more
than likely) number of munging styles were used.  Or just run the text
through each de-munger and see which one(s) yield an address
afterwards.  Then spam all the addresses you got back and remove the
bad ones from your list afterwards.  If you can programmatically
create it (and the output is comprehensible) then someone else can
programmatically comprehend it.

-D

--=20
The heart is deceitful above all things
    and beyond cure.
    Who can understand it?
=20
I the Lord search the heart
    and examine the mind,
to reward a man according to his conduct,
    according to what his deeds deserve.
=20
        Jeremiah 17:9-10
=20