[Tutor] Python information

alan.gauld@bt.com alan.gauld@bt.com
Fri, 2 Aug 2002 15:47:10 +0100

> The things that I would have really appreciated
> at that time which I found difficult to find were
> general OOP 'good > behaviours'.
>
> I agree with Isaac on this one.  I am having a hard time
> grasping the object oriented "mindset", or what have you.

OOP seems to be one of those things that people
either "get" straight away or struggle with for ages.

I was in the latter camp when I first encountered OOP
back about 1985 or so. I read several articles, books
and newsgroups covering OOP in C++, Lisp, Smalltalk
and Objective C before it started to gel. I'd say it
took me about 4-6 months of fairly intensive work.
However it's not a Python issue, the same happens in
any OO language.

The good news is that there is a huge array of
learning tools nowadays both in dead tree form as
well as online. Try

http://www.cetus-links.org

for links to every level and type of OO resource
imaginable...

Alan G.