[Tutor] 1 only book

Scot Stevenson scot@possum.in-berlin.de
Fri, 26 Apr 2002 20:47:35 +0200

Hi,

> Yes, and if we are going outside Python, the one book *everyone*
> who writes code should have is Code Complete by McConnell.

I would like to second that. Based on a recommendation on this list, I
went out and bought it, and it has helped a lot - in fact, I is on my list
to go over /again/ and catch the stuff that I didn't get the first time.

[I only have two gripes, none of which have to do with the content: First,
nobody warned me it was published by Microsoft Press, which even caused my
KDE-loving wife to snicker and point. Second, there is a careless mistake
the German on page 157 [the word is /Benutzerfreundlichkeit/, without any
dots - /Umlaute/ - above the first 'u']. --- Note to authors: If for some
reason you feel absolutely compelled to use German words, please get them
right, and don't just randomly insert Umlaute. The most amazing mistake
I've found so far is in Bob Shaw's "Orbitsville", where he has
/Liebensraum/ - 'room to love' - instead of /Lebensraum/ - 'room to live'
- which I'm sure his Polish readers just love. Tom Clancy has one novel
where the German is so bad (at least in the hard cover version) it ruins
the whole book - you just can feel that he couldn't be bothered to check
it, which makes you wonder about the technical "facts" he has.]

Oops, I'm ranting. Anyway, a very good book, and one I wish I'd had
earlier.

In contrast, I've had problems applying "Design Patters" to the real
world. It might be my lack of programming experience or a firm computer
science background, but I have trouble translating the abstract patterns
into real code. I'm aiming to go over it again, too, when I have more
hands-on experience.

Y, Scot