[Tutor] Newbie with question about text file processing

stuart_clemons@us.ibm.com stuart_clemons@us.ibm.com
Mon, 22 Apr 2002 10:50:36 -0400

--0__=0ABBE130DFDCF32C8f9e8a93df938690918c0ABBE130DFDCF32C

Hi all:

I have an NT admin type of task that I'd like to try to do using Python,
which I'm just starting to learn.

Here's a simplied version of what I'm trying to do.

I have two text files, a master.txt and a newfile.txt.   The master.txt
file has two fields, WINS and DNS.  The newfile.txt has numerous fields,
including the WINS and DNS fields.

I would like to compare the values of the WINS and DNS fields in the
newfile.txt against the WINS and DNS values in the master.txt file to be
sure they match.  I would like to write the results of the comparison to a
file, results.txt.

Here's the contents of master.txt:

      WINS Server : 9.99.99.1
      DNS Servers : 9.99.99.2
                  : 9.99.99.3

Here's the contents of newfile.txt

      IP Address  : 9.99.99.10
      Gateway     : 9.99.99.20
      WINS Server : 9.88.88.88
      Subnet            : 255.255.255.0
      DNS Servers:      : 9.99.99.2
                  : 9.99.99.3
      DHCP Server : 9.99.99.4

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

- Stuart
--0__=0ABBE130DFDCF32C8f9e8a93df938690918c0ABBE130DFDCF32C

I have an NT admin type of task that I'd like to try to do using Python, which I'm just starting to learn.<br>
Here's a simplied version of what I'm trying to do.<br>
I have two text files, a master.txt and a newfile.txt.   The master.txt file has two fields, WINS and DNS.  The newfile.txt has numerous fields, including the WINS and DNS fields.<br>
I would like to compare the values of the WINS and DNS fields in the newfile.txt against the WINS and DNS values in the master.txt file to be sure they match.  I would like to write the results of the comparison to a file, results.txt.<br>
Here's the contents of master.txt:<br>
	WINS Server	: 9.99.99.1<br>
	DNS Servers	: 9.99.99.2<br>
			: 9.99.99.3<br>
Here's the contents of newfile.txt<br>
	IP Address	: 9.99.99.10<br>
	Gateway	: 9.99.99.20<br>
	WINS Server	: 9.88.88.88<br>
	Subnet		: 255.255.255.0<br>
	DNS Servers:	: 9.99.99.2<br>
			: 9.99.99.3<br>
	DHCP Server	: 9.99.99.4<br>
Any help will be greatly appreciated. <br>
- Stuart</body></html>
--0__=0ABBE130DFDCF32C8f9e8a93df938690918c0ABBE130DFDCF32C--