[Tutor] help

Kalle Svensson kalle@gnupung.net
Tue, 16 Apr 2002 20:41:50 +0200

[Anonymous]
> Hello there:
>
> I am looking for help.
>
> I would like to learn programming and Python on my Power Book G3 but I do
> not know AMYTING about programming.

Welcome!  You've come to the right place.

> I just downloaded Python 2.2.1 complete; that's it.

Good!  You won't need anything else to get started, I think.

> I heard of compilers; it sounds as if you need them too but I do not
> know more.

Generally, a programming language can be interpreted, compiled or
both.  With an interpreted language, you run the program by feeding
the source code to a special program called the interpreter.  A
compiled program is run by first running the source through a compiler
and then taking the result and running that directly, without any help
from an interpreter.  Python is interpreted (almost), and the
interpreter is included in the installation.

Hope that made sense.

> Unfortunately I do not like to learn from books.
> I like direct teaching.
>
> Can someone tell me what the next step must be? Just the next one.

The best way to get started with programming is by trying to solve a
problem.  Is there anything special you would like to sove by writing
a program?  Otherwise, there are some suggestions on the Useless
Python website (http://www.lowerstandard.com/python/).

Then you start by maybe looking at a tutorial, there are several
listed at http://www.python.org/doc/Newbies.html .  If there is
something you don't understand, ask on this list.

> I apologyse for these stupid questions and would greatly appreciate your
> kindness and patience in answering them.

On the tutor list, there are no stupid questions.  Don't worry, we've
all been beginners at one time.

Med utmärkt högaktning,
  Kalle
--
Kalle Svensson, http://www.juckapan.org/~kalle/
Student, root and saint in the Church of Emacs.