[Tutor] << operator ? [left bitwise shifting]

Paul Sidorsky paulsid@shaw.ca
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 22:52:37 -0600

Erik Price wrote:

> That's good.  I understand now what it's for (sort of a way of
> "encoding/compressing" data like reducing an AIF file to MP3 for
> internet transmission, but without lossiness, but it's not really
> encoding is it).

That's the right idea, though.

If you have some familiarity with compression, check out the the zipfile
module source.  That was the file with the most hits on <<.  So long as
you have a general idea of what it's trying to do it will serve as a
good real-life example of the use of <<.

Paul Sidorsky                                          Calgary, Canada
paulsid@shaw.ca                        http://members.shaw.ca/paulsid/